The Four Quadrants

The  Four Quadrants
The Four Quadrants

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Minimizing The Myth of The Given

The "Myth of The Given" is the belief that an objective existence is out there waiting to be discovered by us and then seen as it is. It is also the illusion that what appears to arise in your consciousness is free of bias and filtering. It ignores the fact that the developmental level of your mental structures is a major factor that determines your interpretation and selection of what enters into your awareness.

it is not a given that we are aware of existence as it is. If fact there is nothing state-able that "actually is", only a perspective that eternally changes as we develop to higher ground. only when we have a larger cognitive perspective can larger gestalts form in our consciousness.

I've listed below several questions to ask to minimize being seduced by myth of the given and prevent getting trapped by an idea or mentality:

Did I start from a conclusion?
Am I starting from a conclusion?
Can I reexamine something from a state of not knowing?
What would change if I was brutally honest at this moment?
Can I get a perspective on my current perspectives? (perspectives on perspectives)
What would happen if I just looked at the data only?
What would happen if I just experienced the content of my consciousness phenomenologically?
How possible is it that I am missing vital pieces of data?
How might an intelligent extraterrestrial view this?
What am I currently isolated from?
If I were on a desert island with two other people would this make a difference or still matter?
Can I honestly see through the eyes of someone who would disagree with me?
Can I let go of a need to be right?
If I viewed with indifference what would change?
How possible is it that I could be wrong?
What contradictory evidence is there?
What happens if I totally let go of the issue?
What might I be blocking from my consciousness?
What am I avoiding or preventing?
And my questioning absolutely everything?
Can I find any hidden assumptions?
Am I convincing myself of something?
What are all possible implications of the data so far?
Where can I look to find more data?
Am I trying to force something into what I believe?
Am I trying to take a position?
Do I feel compelled to make a conclusion or take a stand?
What would happen if I just looked at the data making no conclusions and taking no stand?
Am I aware of the past conclusions I have made that are currently influencing me?
Am I following some kind of rule or injunction I've given myself or that other people have given me?
Where and how can I test something and get corrective feedback?
Am I directly aware of my sense of making sense?
To what extent do my thoughts feel habitual or automatic?
Am I completely mindful of my process?
Are clear figure-ground gestalts forming in my consciousness?
To what extent am I confused?
How might the most intelligent people I know respond to this content?
Am I giving my authority away to other people, beliefs, and ideas?
Am I taking into account the non-local abilities of my consciousness to access across space and time?
Am I giving myself permission to be skeptical?
Am I getting input from all parts of myself as well as all parts of the "outside world"?
What is obvious and in front of my face?
Can I question what appears obvious?
Am I creating a straw man?
Does my criticism of others also apply to myself?
Am I projecting an aspect of my shadow?
What might my peers see that I may not?
Do I need to look at the actual data?
From how many other perspectives can this be looked at?
How much am I speculating?
Am I willing to accept that I may be wrong?
Am I willing to accept my mis-takes?
How might someone see this 1000 years in the future?
How might someone see this 100000000000000000000 years in the future? ]
Do I want to believe more than I want to really find out.
Am I dealing with gaps in my data?
Do I acknowledge that was appears as accepted clear logical scientifically based fact can still be wrong?
how much do I want to avoid the disapproval of my peers?
Is there anything overriding my sense of making sense?
Can I tolerate ambiguities and uncertainties?
Am I fully looking for and addressing the most contradictory data?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: Can I enter the pre-thought gap?: Can I catch that which arises in my consciousness before it gets categorized, interpreted or given meaning?

No comments:

Comments Welcome

Your Comments Are Welcome